Good Morning favorite Viewers! Can you believe fall is right around the corner? How was your summer? Did you travel? Sara and I have hit the road to near and far places this summer. We want to start sharing our adventures on the blog in hopes to give the adventures part of you a spark to go on your own journey! We also want to share our tips, tricks and favorite things to do when on a short trip or long vacation.
We first wanted to take you on a quick trip to Durango, Colorado. For us, it’s only a little of three hours from home (Albuquerque, NM), so it’s a hop skip and a jump but still feels like a nice gateway. Sara and I have been to Durango few times, twice in the summer and once in the winter. Each time has been wonderful and filled with lots to do! Summers in Durango are pure magic and of course the winter is a white wonderland!
I can’t resist the gravitational pull of a small mountain towns, just like Durango especially the friendly locals. I love the mountains in all seasons. Durango is perfect for spend time with the family/friends, finding adventures in the mountains, relaxing, enjoy live music, seasonal outdoor activates, delicious eats, breweries and secret cocktails.
Here is the list we wanted to share with you:1. Sip your favorite cocktail in secret at the Bookcase and Barber speakeasy. (ps. “What took you so long?”) 2. Take a stroll on Main Avenue for lots of local shops. Our two favorite shops are Urban Market and Silk Sparrow.3. Walk aside Animas River and take in the views, fresh smells and sounds.
Now let’s talk about the good stuff FOOD:
1. El Moro Spirits and Tavern – Amazing cocktails, versatile menu and a modern steam punk atmosphere. We recommend an old fashion and the chicken lollipops.
2. Ken and Sue’s – Whether it’s a special occasion or you’re just feeling fancy, they offer a very diverse menu, the tomato soup is to die for. For dessert try the cognac it’s a digestif.
3. Ska Brewery- They have woodburning pizza and beers, perfect for lunch or to just hang out on the patio and enjoy a fresh cold brew. If you have time take the tour.
4. Cream Bean Berry Creamery – The ice cream is so flavorful and mouthwatering. Our top picks are the strawberry, lavender and pistachio. You can have your ice cream in a cup, cone or even make an ice cream sandwich.
5. Animas Brewing Company – They have a fresh and flavorful menu, which the Keg rolls paired with a kolch makes for a perfect afternoon snack.
6. Carver Brewing CO – They have scrumptious breakfast and they also are a microbrewery.
7. Tour all the Breweries: Animas, Carver, Chainless, Ska and Steam works
For places to stay:
1. Silverpick Lodge is a beautiful short drive from town and offers so many different amenities. Our favorite is the hot tubes on a deck with a stunning mountain view.
2. Airbnb in Durango is a great option. There are so many different types of condosand homes that can be affordable and fit your needs.
As much as we wanted to stay, we left some awesome things on our list for the next visit. These below have been recommended by friends/ locals.
1. Ride the Inferno Mountain Coaster at Purgatory Resort, then spend the day tubing, jumping on the bungee trampoline, climbing, navigating the rope course and more.
2. Mama Silvia’s – Authentic Italian Food
3. Experience a sunset in the San Juan Mountains by horseback.
4. Stroll or bike the 7-mile Animas River Trail through town.
5. Himalayan Kitchen- Solid Indian Food
6. Hike to the top 5 places to enjoy wildflowers (best enjoyed in mid-summer, when everything is blooming!). Columbine Lake, Emerald Lake, Vallecito Lake, Engineer Mountain and Ice Lakes Trail.
7. Durango Brew Train on September 1st
8. Mild 2 Wild Rafting
9. Dimond Belle Saloon – For Cockatiels
10. The cooler weather is also best to enjoy a soak in the Trimble Hot springs.
I hope this list offers a glimpse into a wonderful vacation that is very close to New Mexico. Our Colorado adventure continues as we are on the road to Denver. Make sure to head over to my Instagram for daily shares. If you would like more guides like these please let us know. Thank you for stopping by and reading this new post. If you are new, Welcome! I hope to see all of you next Friday. I post new blogs every Friday.
Alyssa & Sara